Wednesday 29 June 2011

VegeTTable club- by Jean Austen

As a member of the VegeTTable group supporting growing your own backyard vegetables I was fortunate enough to have Geoff Woods, our teacher and advisor, visit me and my garden to see where the best possible place was to start my project.
We learned in our lectures that vegetables need approximately seven hours of sunshine daily to grow successfully and some of soils in our area is not suitable, my challenge was trying to address these two issues. Geoff agreed that growing seedlings in two old wheelbarrows where they could get maximum sunshine should work. I have trialled this idea and am getting great results.
During Geoff’s visit I had many questions to ask and was readily given answers and advice.If you haven’t already joined I would encourage you to do so as Geoff has a wealth of knowledge which he is happy to share with members.
The next garden to be visited is at Michelle's place 62 Kilaben Rd Kilaben Bay on Saturday 9th July 2-3pm. Most of the garden is raised beds but unfortunately the potato bed is somewhere down the hill due to the recent rain.There is plenty of parking so drive in.

No comments:

Post a Comment