Friday 11 March 2011

A little seen large local 
by Jean Austen

Lace Monitor (Varanus varius) Sighted at Jean’s place 12/13 January

It was an extremely hot day when I was alerted to the sound of Noisy Miners and Butcher birds going off with their familiar sound that warns there is something in the garden they’re not happy about. Thinking it was probably a Blue-tongue lizard or maybe a Red-bellied black snake visiting again I went to investigate.

To my surprise and excitement I discovered it was what appeared to be a Lace Monitor approximately 1m long with an amazing yellow pattern forming stripes and spots on its body, tail, and very strong front legs with very big claws.

I followed it as it loped through the garden, down the end of the block as it hurried up a telegraph pole (obviously thinking it was a tree).It later came down and disappeared in the leaf litter and understorey around the tree.

I have lived here at Coal Point for over 40 years, worked in Threlkeld Reserve doing bush regeneration and have never ever seen a reptile of this species before. However a neighbor, with a bushland backyard, told me he had sighted one in his yard...  30 years ago, and a neighbour’s son sighted a goanna in their backyard prior to my sighting.

I can only conclude since I have joined Habitat for Wildlife and have a sign in my garden-maybe birds and animals can read after all having had lots of different birds and animals visit!

I would be very interested to know if you too have had one of these amazing creatures visit you. Please contact CPPA by email or post.

No comments:

Post a Comment