Tuesday 25 March 2014

Do you see what I see?

Eastern Spinebill
Eastern Spinebill
by Catherine Wroe- Local Wildlife Carer 24/3/14

I keep an close eye on the bird life on the West Ridge and wanted to let you know that today I have a Masked Owl roosting in a tree near my aviaries, unfortunately being harassed by all the local birds. I also saw a Powerful Owl a few weeks ago and a couple of Spangled Drongos - which is pretty unusual to get here, lots of Rufous FantailsEastern Spinebills and other small birds.... The Goshawks are gone so the birds are coming back, and the small bird population seems to be growing.

It's been lovely seeing all of the small birds and I've never seen so many Rufous Fantails with their young - I usually only see one or two. Now I'm lucky enough to be getting a family of Eastern Spinebills ScrubwrensVariegated Fairy-wrensEaster whipbirdsGolden Whistlers and other small birds coming into my garden - the bushy plants I've planted have grown enough to entice them down and I'm stoked... Another area with lots of small birds, especially honeyeaters at the moment, is some bush next to the clay pigeon shooting site along the road going towards the Awaba garbage dump, great for any bird watcher.
Masked Owl
Masked Owl
Goshawk
Goshawk
Spangled Drongo
Spangled Drongo


No comments:

Post a Comment