Thursday 2 November 2017

Neighbours Noticing Nature

Local bird enthusiast Graham shared his nestbox success story…

“I made a nestbox for the Eastern Rosellas, it was a bit special ‘cause I put it on a steel pole so the rats, cats and possums couldn’t get into it. The first year…nothing, the second year the mum fledged 5 out of 6, one left dead in the box. This year there are six birds that are half fledged as at 12/10/17.

The Noisy Miners make it hard for the parents though, whenever they come back to the nest to feed the young, they’re at ‘em, not just one but the whole mob.”


Landcare legend Robyn Gill has been keeping an eye of the flock of 7 wood ducklings
off Wippi Reserve.

“Mum and Dad are still in charge but the fledgelings are not swimming in a straight line anymore (rebellion?) & Dad is keeping an overview. We've only seen up to 5 ducklings survive to fledge before and usually rapidly dwindling to 2 or 1. I hope this year's success is a good sign about fewer predators”.


A local who backs on to the West Ridge made these observations on 6/10/17

“we have a few nests in my back yard – I spotted 4 possums on Friday night (2 together and 2 single ones in opposite corners of the garden!). I have also heard the odd baby ring tail call in the evening (around 9.30pm) and very early morning (I dropped my husband at the train at 5.40 this morning!) but I haven’t found them yet. To be honest, I wasn’t going to look too hard as I don’t want to frighten them, but it would still be good to know where the little ones are in case there are predators around. Thankfully, one of the neighbours’ intrepid cats passed away a few months ago, but my night cam picked up another cat that I had not seen before, together with a neat track of paw prints right over the full length of my car!.

Would you like a nestbox? The CPPA will be putting in a bulk order for a variety of wildlife nestboxes to be built in the new year. Email coalpointprogress@gmail.com or ring advising what wildlife you’d like to share your backyard with.

No comments:

Post a Comment