Wednesday 22 August 2018

Sustainable House Day (SDH)- September 16th

This year you can visit 
Hugh’s Solar Battery House in Toronto anytime between 10am-4pm

The full address will be displayed 2 weeks prior to SHD at https://sustainablehouseday.com

Hugh says:

As an environmental scientist, I was aware of the need to move away from fossil fuels quickly. In addition, my ageing father needed the house to be heated and cooled for long periods each day which was leading to large power bills.

So, beginning in October 2015 I installed a 4.94kW solar system on my garage. Each of the 19 panels has an Enphase micro-inverter so that I maximise the power output despite afternoon shade on some panels. Then in February 2017 I installed a 10kWh battery as part of a Suncrowd bulk buy scheme. Most recently, in August 2017, I installed a Sanden Heat Pump hot water system when the old off-peak tank started leaking. In 2015 I also renovated a granny flat downstairs using a second hand kitchen.

To round out my home’s sustainability, I have a small veggie garden, an electric scooter for heavy shopping trips and a Toyota Prius for longer trips

Sustainable features include:

  • 4.94kW PV system incl. 10kWh battery 
  • Sanden Heat Pump hot water system 
  • EVs
  • Veggie garden

No comments:

Post a Comment