Tuesday, 18 September 2018

In From the Wild


By Wildlife Carer Catherine Wroe (for rescues call 0412 093 030)


I have recently had a very beautiful Masked Owl in care, she had been hit by a car on the Wangi Wangi side of Myuna Bay. Very lucky to be alive, as she was sitting in the middle of the road with cars zooming past before a lovely lady stopped to pick her up. She had a lot of blood in her mouth and was badly concussed, but fortunately x-rays showed no fractures. She made a full recovery and was released early August.
I identified her as female by her weight of 810gm. On the mainland, female Masked owls weigh on average around 700gm and are generally larger than the males. She was also a dark morph of this species.


I also had a Barn Owl in care from Westlake Macquarie that was hit by a car  - sustaining a broken coracoid. Luckily it  healed well and the owl was released about 4 weeks later. Interestingly, both these birds are from the Tyto owl family.

No comments:

Post a Comment